Monday, July 30, 2007

Flashback

Edmonton Folk Fest 2006: I discovered two new artists I adored
Hawksley Workman and Geoff Berner
---
Calgary Folk Fest 2007: Adored artists revisited
Hawksley WorkmanGeoff Berner

Well for the past four days I've been hiding away at the Calgary Folk Fest. It was amazing! I saw some of my favorite artists like Hawksley Workman and Geoff Berner (meeting the former, which was definitely one of the highlights). I also rediscovered some acts I'd forgotten the talent of like Chumba Wumba, and was exposed to those I wasn't really aware of, a perfect examples being Brett Dennen or T.O.F.U.. For four days Prince's Island Park was my home, as I spent most of my time there, and the environment was suited perfectly for contemplation and just relaxing to some beautiful music.

And then it came time to return to my regular home 3 hours north, where I write this now. I'm happy to see my family again, as I miss the fun we have when I'm away (we put the "fun" in dysfunctional :P)... but I just remember last year at the Edmonton folk fest I thought those women sitting nearby were crazy for being so upset when it was all over. Now I understand them a lot better, I was one of them.

4 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I'm really glad you made it down to the Calgary Folk Festival this year. Prince's Island Park really is the star of the show, isn't it? Both Hawksley Workman and Geoff Berner are awesome performers - they bring so much more to their shows than just their songs.

I'm feeling post-folk fest nostalgia too!

Becky said...

Oh, that park is gorgeous! It's ten times nicer than the ski hill we have our fest on!
Yeah, I love those guys... I also adore Brett Dennen, I can't believe I hadn't heard of him before the festival!
It's so weird, I'll just have moments now where I just get remembering and become so sappy... but it just goes to show what a good time it was :)

Shelly said...

Sounds cool. Even though I take the classic "Calgry sucks" attitude I do apricate some of the things it has to offer(Kryspy Kreme).

Becky said...

Haha, remember Ms. Kuz and the whole Krispy Kreme episode? That was awesome! 8B was just that cool.

Yeah, one of the artists commented on the whole Edmonton-Calgary rivalry... unfortunately I don't remember who... but no one booed, they just laughed. And I cheered :)

PETA2.com