Saturday, August 11, 2007

The folk fest where there are hills

The hill

Oh, it is correct, Edmonton Folk Festival is up and running for 2007! So far we've had beautiful weather, with the exception of a touch of rain on Friday morning (which only ended up being a small nuisance for us volunteers working the morning shift, it turned out fine)

---

The green room (mainstage)

You know, being on the Enviropower crew means that we get to go backstage... just not when the performers are there... But even with this minor setback, I mustered up all the CNN in me and took this AC360 style photo of the green room of back stage. They go all out for the artists here in Edmonton. I mean, we give them a brown corduroy chair that looks like it's from the Watergate days. All out.

---
I've been hanging out mostly with my good friend Maren... Maren (and family) has been very generous, letting me mooch off her tarp and giving me a ride home at 1 in the morning... she's a great friend, and with some of the sad news lately it's been a real comfort to be able to pass the time with her.

Yesterday in the volunteer food tent she blew my mind (and made me laugh). We were leaving the tent when a woman who looked quite familiar to me started chatting away to her. Finally I placed her, and mentioned it to Maren when she was done talking to her.

Me: "That woman looks just like Connie Kaldor..."

Maren: "She is."

Me: "What!?"

Maren: "She's my god mother, you know, the one we always go to visit in Montreal."

Me: "What?!"

Once I got over the shock that Maren's god mother had made Mr. Lonely and Sarah Slean do the can-can in Calgary, I got the chance to quickly chat with her. I also got to spend some time talking with her sons Gabriel and Aleksi, both of whom are enthusiastic and great tarp company.

I feel kind of ridiculous, being so excited, as I know all artists have lives outside of onstage performances, have families, and family friends... but it still kind of came as a surprise, especially after that amazing workshop with her in Calgary.

Anyway, today at her concert she had her kids on to sing a couple of songs. She played the Sound of Music card... and apologized for the absence of lederhosen.

---

But since this is my "night off" (as I got four hours of sleep last night), I think I'd better go read... or tend to my unfortunate sunburn (due to bang half of my forehead is red, with the other half being that regular pasty white :P)

I'm excited for tomorrow, which involves getting there at 8 am and leaving at 11:30 pm. A long day, but it should be an entertaining one!

2 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Wow you've got connections! It sounds like the Edmonton fest is off to a roaring start!

And I met some guys from the Environmental crew in Calgary and they claim it is the best crew ever.

Becky said...

Haha, yes... "connections"!
Environment crew is pretty good, although the adults need to work in the evenings. The youth branch is lucky, we get off work around 11 am, just in time for all the workshops. And they call us the Enviropower crew, how cool is that? :P

PETA2.com