Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"[In Edmonton] everybody's almost oppressed, so you rally together."

That's Chris Connelly of Deadmonton's own Hot Panda, commenting on the city's certain je ne sais quoi. Believe me, his attitude is not unlike most of those I know, including myself.
Whether one's a worker here due to the boom, who only stays because of the wages, or a long time Edmontonian, who's aggravated by the new traffic, suburbs and ridiculous housing prices, this isn't exactly the place most people choose to stay too long.
Not to say that it doesn't have any redeeming qualities. It does have a great, be it small, underground community, not to mention an astounding river valley. But outside of our sliver of the city, it's pretty bleak.
And that's what Connelly's talking about. We all band together and make the location a bit more bearable. Whether it be the Folk Fest, the Fringe, or tuning in to CJSR every once in a while, there's something that makes one feel that there's a little less oil-worker-Klein-junkie in the town.
Besides, lefty Albertans always have a fun time bonding with their jokes on the subject.
What can I say? I'm a Klein kid.

5 comments:

Shelly said...

Plus in here you can still randomly go to peoples houses without being shot.

Becky said...

True, true... although, if he's had a shotgun...

Barbara Bruederlin said...

It's tough being a lefty anywhere in this province, sad to hear that Edmonton is no better. Smash the system!

arsarca said...

people in edmonton are "almost oppressed" because we're lefties in a provincial & proverbial blue tide! he didn't mean that as a diss to edmonton itself, do you think?

i guess i just know a lot of people who love edmonton for what is, and isn't. like me.

sniff. my lil' sis is becoming a cynic. a glass-half-empty kinda gal.

wonder where she got that from.
;p

ps. you read my "parkallen hates my naked baby post"? it's new. i'm writing in my blog again!

Becky said...

Oh Jay, you have taught me so well!
The context in which he said it I think he means yes, the lefty/blue tide issues, but also the experience of feeling like you're in the middle of no where, and that anything that isn't status quo is looked down upon... which also does tie in with the left-wing in a right wing province point. I guess it's a different type of western alienation.

PETA2.com