Saturday, June 02, 2007

My love of hate for my school grows

This is a picture of boredom at a Thursday's "pep rally". It was hardly what one would expect from its name. It was, in fact, the anti-pep rally. Everyone just sat, bored out of their minds, while the jocks went up and "talked" about how they won some championship no one really cares about. I say "talked" because it consisted of:

"We powned."

"Yeah!"

"We won."

"Yeah!"

Glorious.

The year end dance was 80s theme, which one would think would be fun. Apart from getting to wear my 'Astros' sweatshirt, It wasn't. I should have seen it coming when the DJ said "we'll play some 80s and then move into some popcorny stuff." The 80s consisted of Thriller, the rest was Avril Lavigne crap. I could only stand about 2 minutes before I actually thought I was going to throw up. I felt physically nauseous. Luckily Lyle felt the same, so we snuck out of the dance. He and his friends had already gone once, the second time I tagged along. So I spent my last dance at that school outside playing catch and witnessing the accidental denting of the DJ's van. Best dance ever.

Yesterday was a much better day than Thursday (day of the pep rally, dance, etc). Although it was plus 30-something, I had a great time afterschool hanging out on the hill. We held off going home as long as we could, but finally we had no choice.

I got home for supper and then headed off for the airport to pick up Tracey (my sister who lives in Alaska)! We were happy to see her, and all went smoothly until we missed a certain turn-off on the way back. We ended up in Twin Brooks (Vi's suburb), and were late. But it didn't really matter because:

a) It just goes into our ever-expanding file of lost-while-driving/"interesting"-experiences-to-do-with-the-airport file, and

b) I got this shot while driving on Anthony Henday

5 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I love that photo - electrical towers are pretty gorgeous on their own, but against that sunset - wow!

You sound as though you have the same sort of "love" for school dances as my kid. She asks for Magazine and gets a blank look, then Devo, still a blank look and then they play some American Idol dude.

Becky said...

Thanks! It was mostly luck with that shot. You should have seen my frantic rush to open up the car window in order to get a clear picture :P

Yeah... school dances are... interesting. Tell Eva I know how she feels! The DJs the school gets are pretty oblivious to anything that's not on "The Bounce". Let's just say I listened to a lot of my own music afterward to cleanse my mind of the "popcorn".

justacoolcat said...

"So I spent my last dance at that school outside playing catch and witnessing the accidental denting of the DJ's van. Best dance ever.
"

You'll find such is life in the world of pomp and circumstance.

Excellent post.

Becky said...

Thank you, JustACoolCat. (Or should I just call you "Cat"?)

arsarca said...

nice! glad that you dented the car. victory over tyranny of anti-aesthetic automatons!
all by accident, of course.

love the photos, too. you should search flickr for 'electrical lines' & see how many groups are there. i've joined two or three so i can share my odd little obsession of photographing the buzzy structures....

PETA2.com