Saturday, March 31, 2007

Back on (flat) ground

Back in the prairies, which I'd have to say I missed... but I do love to travel, and I had a great time!
We went to Montreal and Toronto, both of which I enjoyed. I preferred Montreal this year, whereas last year I preferred TO (I think because the CBC building was new to me and I still really enjoyed The Hour).
...
It was my fourth visit to Montreal... We stayed in the area between Downtown and Old Montreal, right by Chinatown. Perfect location, as you can walk to all the places we wanted to go from there.
One awesome moment took place when we were walking down Rue St Paul in Old Montreal taking photos of the beautiful architecture. I was ahead, and guess who comes around the corner. Andre Boisclair (leader of the PQ party)! I don't agree with some his politics, but I recognized him right and away and kind of froze. I didn't even get a photo... c'est dommage. But I saw him later on TV wearing the same tie... (alert the media :P)
...
We went to Toronto by train... there was quite a contrast. We spent Sunday in Montreal, meaning there were people talking to neighbours on steps, sitting besides their bikes on the sidewalk reading, or hanging out with friends on balconies. We arrive in Toronto on Monday, right around the end of the work day. This means the mass migration of people dressed all in black to the GoTrain station. No laughing, no socializing at all, just walking as quickly as you black pumps could take you. (As you could imagine, I preferred Montreal at that moment.)
...
A highlight was going out to Wards Island, which was like a vacation while on vacation. It was a nice break from the busy city... It was a lot like being on Vancouver Island, very relaxing. There were swans, angry geese, lots of friendly people. And I saw my first wild snake. I know, you think I'm a complete city girl, but I've never seen one at the family farm, and the far north and the mountains don't really lend themselves to slithering (lots of needles). But the island was quite beautiful, and provided an awesome view of downtown TO.
...
And then yesterday we took the plane home to our beloved Edmonton. I'm glad to be back with my entire family again! Yesterday I just enjoyed just relaxing and getting back into the rhythm of daily life... today I have to deal with homework... fun fun!

5 comments:

chumly said...

Getting ready to travel this year myself. I hate the new passport laws though.

Evelyne said...

It sounds like a really nice trip and it seems that you enjoyed it! And I'm really happy that you enjoyed Montreal! Montreal on Sunday and Toronto on Monday, it is quite different! But Montreal is also sort of busy on weekdays (why are people running to catch the subway?) but as you did, I like it a little more on weekends! And i like the pictures that you posted!

Becky said...

I hope you have a good trip, Chumly! I haven't travelled to the U.S. lately, but my sister in Alaska is having troubles with the new laws. She was here over Christmas, and the passport lines were so long one man would get up at 3 AM, stand in line, and then later sell his spot to some poor exasperated person at the back! Crazy... but smart :P

Thanks! It was quite whirlwind, it would have been nice to take a bit longer and done more.
You're right, it is busy on weekdays... but I really enjoy it even then. Toronto's rather smoggy :P
I guess everyone wants to get home faster, maybe? I'm unsure... good question.
Thanks about the photos, too! I took an insane number of pictures, but most of them are quite similar.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Maybe Andre Boisclair only owns one tie!

What a whirlwind trip you had; sounds like a great time though. And how great that you got to meet a snake in the wild. They are the coolest things. There's a garter snake area in Manitoba where you can see thousands of snakes in their pits. It's amazing.

Becky said...

No wonder he lost! Who would vote for a guy with one tie? :P

That place in Manitoba sounds awesome! Snakes are the coolest! I'm lucky I'm not afraid of them, I just think they're awesome :D

PETA2.com