Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Syriana

Just watched 'Syriana'... man, it's moving.
I started watching it thinking that it would be a confusing movie, just like the critics said.
I did find it confusing- to a point. It wasn't like you didn't know who was doing what, it was just difficult, in my opinion, figuring out who worked for who.
And I had to skip the end of the torture scene (the one in which George Clooney hurt his back).

...
I have to say, the most powerful scene was where Bob (Clooney) is trying to tell Prince Nasir that he's about to be assassinated, and Nasir realizes, and just says "You're the Canadian"-and then the missile hits.
I'm sure it didn't help that there's a huge thunderstorm outside while all this is going on...
...
Anyway, I just think it's one of those really influential movies that changes you perspective on things. I've always been a big fan of George Clooney, and good for him for doing such a great movie. He definitely deserved the Oscar he won for it.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I loved this movie too. I saw it in theatres and you know that torture scene with Clooney? So much worse on the big screen.
My favourite scene was in the dinner when he puts on his no bullshit face.
I watched an interview with the writer/director on PBS and he was talking about what happened to him while he was doing his research, and then scene where he gets blindfolded, actually happened to the writer/director, crazy eh?

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I haven't seen this yet, but I know Matt Good just raved about it.

Becky said...

Ouch, I could see the the torture scene being worse in a movie theatre. I'm not really one for the big screen... I did go to 'Good Night And Good Luck', though.
That scene was pretty good! Christopher Plummer was awesome in the movie, it's no 'Sound Of Music' (although, that's a classic).

It's very muchly so worth seeing! (Yes, I know that sentence doesn't make sense :P)

loring said...

excellent movie. i loved the whole "corruption" speach near the end of the movie. totally reminiscent of gekko's "greed is good" speach in Oliver Stone's Wall Street.

PETA2.com