Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Fringe, much?

Hey there! Typing this at Scona library, just got in from the Fringe (I do believe it is the biggest one in North America). I usually check out a couple plays, but I'm not really one to plan ahead. My eldest sister writes for a local magazine reviewing the plays, so she usually gives me a heads up if there's a good one. This year one of her reviewees (is that a word? Oh well, it is now) was called "A Road Less Gravelled"... ouch.

It's crazy hot out, and my youngest older sister (only ten years older than me) and I were looking for booth that one of her friend runs, when this creepy guy comes up and gives us these small rocks that say "Cute Women Rock Edmonton". He then goes into this small speech about how someday we should introduce him to his mother. We thought he was just off his rocker, but then when we did find my sister's friend's booth, we found out she and another girl she knows had gotten them. Eew! I am going to take a picture of the aforementioned pebble and upload it when I get home. If you see this man, kindly hurt him for us. Thanks :)

Here it is... *shudder*
...
Anyway, this booth I'm talking about is awesome possum. They have homemade purses, wallets, ties, pillows, etc. The girl who sells them handmakes them all and types all the tags out on her typewriter. I was very tempted to get a brown corduroy one with turquoise flowers, but my bag collection is big enough already (at least that's what I keep telling myself). If you're here, check it out, it's right by the bus barns. Go now!

Right next to where creepy-pebble-man was sitting is a super cool booth that sells any kind of button (not shirt buttons, the kind that have band names of sayings on them) you could think of. Unfortunately, they are crazy expensive, but my sister volunteers at APIRG, where they happen to have a button making machine. We plan to go sometime, I'm really looking forward to it! I have this one button that I got at Earth's General Store (Go there, too) that has a cartoon cow on his back saying "You'd be mad too, if your destiny was burgers and jello!"
Aww, I love that pin :)

Well, my sister finished working on her laptop, back into extremely-hot-where-anything-that-will-cool-you-down-is-ridiculously-expensive-land!
See ya later!

2 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I was at the Fringe in Edmonton last year - it's huge, so many people down on White Ave!

I did Calgary Fringe this year and was more organised and got to take in some awesome plays.

Becky said...

Yeah, I had a great time at Folk Fest, but you just can't beat the Fringe! I probably just think that because I only started going to EFMF a couple years ago, while I've been going to the Fringe my whole life...
Yeah, Whyte ave gets pretty busy! It's always pure chaos on the corner by Second Cup and Army & Navy, but hey, it's the little Edmontonian culture we have, and we love it :)

Sounds like Calgary Fringe was fun! I've never been, but I think it'd be awesome to check out the plays there!

PETA2.com