Monday, August 07, 2006

Heritage days

Yesterday I went down to Heritage days at Hawrelak park with two of my sisters and my one niece. Due to the heat, it ended up being just my one sister and I exploring what is apparently the largest Heritage festival yet.

I've always found Heritage days a bit odd. The way I see it, if I lived in a different country and was asked to make a booth about Canada for their version of Heritage days, I wouldn't make it all Mounties and beavers and maple syrup. It's not that I think that these things aren't a part of Canadian history, I have deep roots with things like the fur trade and the RCMP. I just think that I would want to show people something new and different about our country, instead of reinforcing the stereotype they probably already have.
The festival was fun, though, don't get me wrong... just a little awkward.

Above: The Scandinavian Viking ship, the Hawaiian hut and its dancers and an adorable little boy from the Ecuador tent (reminded me of the book 'Startled By His Furry Shorts')...

10 comments:

Shelly said...

well I've never been to heritage days but it sound interesting.

P.S.
I AM SOOOOOOO READY TO PARTY TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alana Elliott said...

Mounties, beavers and maple syrup...don't forget the obligatory Canadian wooden hockey sticks, black and red flannel lumberjack sweaters, and of course, the igloos that everyone outside of Canada seems to think we all live in.

*sigh*

That picture of the little boy is ADORABLE though! What a cutie...

Becky said...

Sheshe, I am very muchly so ready to party!

So true... hockey sticks, lumberjack shirts (one of which I own... so sad, I know... I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok! Gotta love Monty Python, though) and igloos.
My friend knows a guy who was talking to a girl from California who thought that Alberta was a type of potato :P

Furry shorts kid is very cute, you're right. His job was to get everyone's attention by beating a little drum onstage- it was almost as cute as his outfit :)

Evelyne said...

Canada is much more than only the mounties, maple syrup and beavers! Heritage Days should be about all the other things that make our country (even if maple syrup tastes soooo good!)

Alana Elliott said...

LOL! Alberta the potato.

That's right, lets not forget Manitoba the running shoe and Saskatchewan the new long lasting mint gum.

Eeeesh!

Becky said...

I definitely agree with you, Evelyne. Heritage days should be about the things that are a part of the average citizens life...
Although, I'm about to have maple syrup for breakfast :P

Love the Manitoba sneakers and Saskatchewan gum!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Alberta - Yukon, yeah I can see how she would get those mixed up - they both have vowels in them.

Alana Elliott said...

LOL, Barbara! Oh, SNAP!

Becky said...

That's awesome!

GeeGee said...

OMG FUR SHORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (CAPS LOCK MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER!!!!!) lol nice joke (Yukon and Alberta joke) Heritage days is like one big....who cares....u know what i mean, like people walk around in what ever and no one seems to care at least thats how it seem when i went down there....anyone else think that...no..well ok

PETA2.com