Monday, August 14, 2006

Folk fest: A recollection of day 3

Well, it's all over with now. So sad.
Last night there was a big finale on the mainstage... The Blind Boys Of Alabama rocked the place, they had everyone dancing (even me, and I can't dance!). Sarah Harmer calmed us all down, and then there was the grand finale where everyone sways and sings 'Four Strong Winds'. I almost made it out in time, but then I made the mistake of stopping to take a photo long enough that some random (probably drunk) woman could grab my shoulder and start making sway with her. Eww.
But anyway, enough of my late night horror stories, here are some of my pictures from Saturday (blogger won't let me post any more. It hates me when it comes to pictures).
---
Saturday

Hawksley Workman with Geoff Berner, Feist and The Waifs... all in one workshop!
When Geoff played 'Light Enough To Travel', Hawksley joined in and they rocked! Workman was doing this wicked guitar solo while Geoff was singing his heart out! Amazing. Luckily I had waited for 2 hours by the stage, so we got really good seats (a lot of people showed up for that performance!)...

Bruce Cockburn, Jason Collett and Sarah Harmer all on one stage... Cancon overload! (They all put on wonderful shows, but I preferred the other workshop... it was more laid back.)

Here's Feist on the mainstage. The guy we knew with the bronze tarp slept in that day, so we didn't get the best seats for her main show, but we did get good seats for the small stage, so it was ok :)
--
"And that's when my shirt burst into flames."
-Jason Collett on getting some ash from a joint in his velvet shirt at a high school dance.

3 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Great memories in those photos!! I wish I had been there.

Don't you love workshops the best? They MAKE the folk festival.

Alana Elliott said...

I am now reminiscing Bruce Cockburn's live performance of "If I Had A Rocket Launcher" last summer. Amazing.

I'm so glad you had such a good time, Becky. Sorry it had to end so quickly, but man, it must have been spectacular!

Becky said...

Photo memories are always a great thing! They always seem to bring you back to the moment...
Workshops do make the festival! The musical improv is awesome!

Bruce Cockburn performed 'If I Had A Rocket Launcher' on Saturday, too. That man's got talent (but I think everyone already knows that).
I was spectaculer, although the late nights and early mornings were starting to wear me out :)

PETA2.com