Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Reason number 126 why the military scares me...

I forgot to mention earlier, of this bizarre happening that took place just before lunch time today.
We were outside playing baseball during gym, and suddenly we hear this low rumble. Our school is in between the two airports in Edmonton, so we’re used to the sight of planes flying over head. But this plane was one of those huge military planes, the kind you see on the news bringing bodies home (my dad (who grew up in a military family) has just informed me that it was a Hercules). We all stopped and stared as it flew (really quite low) overhead. We just stared as it headed toward downtown, amazed at how quiet the engine was (we could only hear it as it was directly overhead).
The freaky thing is is that we’ve been getting a lot of military planes (none like that, though) around our school lately, and when I told my sister about it, she said that she saw fighter jets flying in formation around Whyte Ave the other day. Obviously they have nothing to do with Edmontonian civilians (as we have a big military base here), but it’s kind of freaky that we can finally feel the affects of being at war here at home.
Just thought I’d share that with you.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

It's a sad and sober reminder that Canada is not at peace right now.
I understand your pause to note the change in military air traffic.

hilary m. said...

I remember when they got this military jet to fly really low at the Calgary Stampede. It really scared me. All military aircrafts scare me. It represents something so incredibly destructive. Thank goodness the only thing we get over our school are hot-air balloons. I hope that will never change.

Becky said...

Yeah, we alway get the Remax balloons over our school too, we always wave at them...
That jet over the Stampede sounds freakish. Luckily we only have Klondike days and the Fringe. I don't think the military would care about the Fringe, and I've never been to Klondike days, so I wouldn't know...
I definitely agree with you Barbara, that it is a reminder to us Canadians at home about all those who are not.

Anonymous said...

4 millitary jets just circled once or twice above my house in Edmonton at about 3:35 on Friday, July 21st. Incredibly loud, I knew they were jets right away. Didn't seem to be going anywhere in particular.

Becky said...

Yeah, those were Snowbirds going over either Klondike days (now Capital Ex, yuck) or that WEM Grand Prix thing. I heard/saw them too. They were really loud!

PETA2.com