Thursday, May 17, 2007

Let us wake up and talk a while. I tell you I'm scared, I tell you I'd fight for us both ... And what would we do in our last moments in time?
-The Future Language of Slaves, Hawksley Workman
...
That song seems to sum up some of my feelings this week.

Firstly, I finished Nineteen Eighty-Four. Just like when I read The Handmaid's Tale, the book affected me deeply. It truly makes you think and be thankful for what we have. Towards the end I had to put it down for a while... I can't bear to read of human suffering in the hands of others that way. Everything Winston goes through makes me want to scream... and to think people live in states like that, I can't stand it.

And then today I was shocked at school. I noticed police cruisers outside our school and officers walking around as I went in. I thought it was odd, but I didn't realized what had happened until Maren informed me around Noon.
Ed, a kid who often hangs out with friends of friends, and whom I talk to on a fairly regular basis, had been threatening to kill several classmates. At first we thought that was it, but the police soon discovered a knife in his locker and a list of people to kill (and how it was to be done). I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of my good friends and I were on there, as we had a rocky relationship with him.
The school as a whole was surprisingly calm (especially considering the size of the school), but it still left us a bit shaken. What frustrates me is that no one from admin talked to us about, they left it to classmates to inform others.
However serious he actually was, it leaves you with Workman's lyrics rolling in your mind.

6 comments:

Evelyne said...

I understand your frustration that the admin told you nothing about what was going on. Hope that things are going to go back to normal very soon.

arsarca said...

wow. that's crazy. you realise, of course, that he probably wouldn't have had much luck executing all those people with a knife. though i have to admit, i don't think that i've ever been on anybody's list of murder victims.
i agree that it's no good for the admin to let the rumours swirl, too.

Becky said...

Thanks Evelyne, I hope that all will be closer to being back to normal on Tuesday...

Yeah, Nick pointed out about the knife when we talking about it in Math... it somehow lead to an interesting conversation on nouns being used as verbs. A random conversation, but it made everyone laugh a little (Nick being the kid who always makes jokes).
I often find my school's admin to be incompetent.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

That's really disturbing.

The administration really does have to address the situation, and restore some normalcy.

Becky said...

It is... I think I might talk to the vice principal on Tuesday (as we have Monday off).

Shelly said...

I think that they wanted to sort things out a bit before they said any thing, but they could have at least had some sort of comment. Come on the principal can us interupt during a test to ask us what high school were going to but no one can comment on some one who was plotting murder?

PETA2.com