Monday, March 05, 2007

Musical ramblings...

Ugh. We had immunization first thing today at school. This resulted in my being totally out for the entire day. I made a fool of myself only, oh let's see... 6 times was it? Maybe not six, but I totally looked like a fool on several occasions. I'm usually pretty klutzy in the head, but I was extra bad today...
But I shall take comfort in my Simon & Garfunkel. I got out the entire collection of recordings, from '62 to '70, from the library. Those 8 years to me produced some of the best music of the 20th century. The Beatles are another example. Just after the early rock and roll, and just before disco... awesome!


Anyway, so I'm just hanging out pondering Paul Simon's decision to take 'Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.' and rework it to become the more upbeat 'Somewhere They Can't Find Me'. Both of them begin with the same eight lines:

I can hear the soft breathing

Of the girl that I love,

As she lies here beside me

Asleep with the night,

And her hair, in a fine mist

Floats on my pillow,

Reflecting the glow

Of the winter moonlight.

Paul Simon is quite a genius... a couple of weeks ago CBC showed the tribute for him at last years Montreal Jazz Festival. I wish I had been there... all I remember of the time I went to Jazz Fest was the mainstage being really bright and walking back to the hostel really late with my mom. I was very small, as you can imagine.

Anyway... I'd better go read. I still don't have Citizen of the World finished. I just haven't really had the time. But I have to get it done for our trip, it's too large to carry around... also I have a long line of paperback Agatha Christie novels to read in my free time down east!

No comments:

PETA2.com