Sunday, August 31, 2008

Confession (And a couple shameless plugs :D)

I have a confession.
I am an inspiration junkie.
And Barack Obama's speeches give me my inspiration fix.
I've always had a passion for politics, but his campaign is especially exhilarating. My entire life (albeit it a short one thus far), I have studied history. Finally I get the chance to watch it unfold in front of me! My excitement is almost out of control. Eg. I have a bit of a collection of Obama gear, including a yard sign.
The downside is, of course, is that I cannot actually participate in the election. But now I that have all this energy, I'm finally checking off a few things on my moral 'to do' list.

Yesterday I got the chance to go canvassing with local NDP candidate Linda Duncan. I was horribly nervous at first, but after about two houses that feeling disappeared, and was replaced by one of excitement. As her campaign manager said, it was a bit of a poli sci lesson for me, as I was introduced to some awfully fuzzy logic belonging to some residents. The man who was a PC-NDP swing vote a prime example.
But overall I was overjoyed to be able to participate, and to talk to people in the community.

Also, last spring, my friend Shauna (also a Obama fan, and who is also always inspiring me with her work ethic) and I realized that homophobia and sexism are a large, unrecognized problem at our school. This prompted us to form Our ERA, to raise awareness about these issues. We've been planning since May, so this September we're going to hit the ground running. I'm anxious to confront the prejudices at our school head on, to make a difference.

And I must admit: it's great to be inspired!

1 comment:

arsarca said...

wow, you're lacking in thoughtful responses!
here's one!
ope it inspires!

PETA2.com