Monday, November 12, 2007

"A darker grey is breaking through a lighter one"

Alright... I wasn't as snappy about posting again as I would have liked, but it's getting done :P

The only really interesting thing currently going on is the shows I've been attending recently. I don't have any lined up until after Christmas, but hey, I can always look fondly back at the ones I've been to...

Art Garfunkel at the Jubilee:
Before I was introduced to the independent Canadian artists I adore now, I always regretted that I'd never be able to see my favorite artists (The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.) live in concert. But Art Garfunkel proved me wrong there. Although the show wasn't as amazing as it would have been if Paul Simon had joined him (I missed the gorgeous harmonies), Garfunkel sang quite a few of the old S&G tunes, and of course the crowd loved him for it... I mean, his voice is too astounding!

The Weakerthans at Myer Horowitz:
This was a party and a half. Although The Last Town Chorus almost deafened me (lap steel guitar= good instrument, just don't turn it up so much that all you hear is constant screeching), the show in all rocked. The band kicked it off with a few of their more upbeat tunes, new and old, but in the second half they toned it down with a lot of slower songs, including quite a bit of Left & Leaving, the album which is basically the anthem of my sisters and always brings back nice memories of hanging out at their place during their university days. Think the whole audience singing along to 'My Favorite Chords' and 'One Great City!'
Afterwards I got a ride home with my sister's hilarious friends, and learned some important life lessons ("And Becky remember, marriage is only good for immigration purposes or fraud!")

Justin Rutledge and The Great Lake Swimmers at McDougall Church:
Ok, I must admit, I only went to this show to see Justin Rutledge, who was opening. But I discovered The Great Lake Swimmers, so it's alright.
I first found out about Rutledge at Edmonton Folk Fest, and fell in love with his alt country right away. I didn't find he sang as well at this show, but touring can do that do voices (especially when the artist dubs it "the magical misery tour"). But nevertheless he is amazing, and it was fun to be able to meet him again...
Plus I was introduced to The Great Lake Swimmers music, which is a pleasure.

Justin Rutledge


Geoff Berner and Kris Demeanor at McDougall Church:
Ok, it's Geoff Berner. Need I say more? I've seen him perform a couple times before this, and he was, as always, hilarious. This time I brought along father, who I swear was going to die laughing...
But what I loved best was Kris Demeanor. I haven't laughed that hard... well... ever I think, his impression of his dad in 'I Have Seen The Future' was outstanding... I got the chance to talk to him during intermission, he's incredibly friendly! My hero.

Geoff Berner and Kris Demeanor


Serena Ryder and Wil at Megatunes:
The Megatunes on Whyte (formally Greenwoods books) has a great space in the basment. The artist is set up on the floor, and everyone gets to sit on the cushy carpeted floor to watch. I really enjoy the connection it provides. Anyway, Serena Ryder was giving a quick free show there before her bigger show (which I unfortunately couldn't make). But I got to see her perform a few songs, and Wil also. I didn't know too much about the latter beforehand, but his voice is awesome and the fact that his website is ibreakstrings.com just makes me that much happier :)

Serena Ryder

4 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You've been to some great show recently. Great Lake Swimmers are great aren't they? Tony Dekker's voice will break your heart.

And Kris Demeanor is such a great performer. Once at a Dan Bern concert, Dan started talking about tennis, stopped and asked if Kris was in the audience (which he was), and then got him to come up and sing that great song.

Becky said...

The Great Lake Swimmers are the perfect band for just kicking back and relaxing to... love it :)

Haha, I love Kris Demeanor! I read your post about that... those sorts of memorable moments at concerts are the best!

Isaac said...

Hey, This is Isaac from Who's Left and Who's Leaving. I was at that Weakerthans concert too! It really was awesome, and I even got to interview John. K. Samson before the show!

Becky said...

Cool! Interviewing Samson must have been amazing! He's so creative, and kind, too. I got the chance to briefly meet him at a songwriting workshop at Calgary Folk Fest, he was so friendly :D

PETA2.com