Sunday, January 07, 2007

This here province...

With Alberta's economic boom, there's been a lot of discussion about how rich this province is becoming. Frankly, I still see poverty in the streets, people who need jobs. The only result of the economic boom I see is more traffic on the roads and the building of more suburbs.

Despite these obvious drawbacks, I still love Edmonton, and having roots here, I think it'd be hard to leave in the future. I'm lucky to live in the Edmonton similar to that of the 1950s, when my mother and her family moved here from Saskatchewan.

And Alberta isn't all about big trucks and rednecks. We still have our agriculture and our beautiful landscapes, although the latter is being depleted by logging and the destruction of land for the oil industry...

Yesterday I was going through photos I took on a camping trip this summer, and it reminded me about how lucky I am to be able to grow up here.

The prairie

Red barn

Rockies

Pigeon Lake

6 comments:

Evelyne said...

I love those pictures of Alberta, mostly the 3rd one, it reminds me of the pictures that my sister took when she went to Edmonton for a student exchange (I think that she went to Stony Plains, or something like that, and they went to Jasper in car)... living in the east, I hear a lot about how we think that Alberta is so rich, but in my mind, being rich means to be able to deal with most of your socioeconomic problems, it is not all about the oil industry.

Becky said...

Thanks!
Yeah, Stony Plain is a part of Edmonton. My sister actually had her daughter at the hospital there, it's quite a nice area :)
I definitely agree with you that how much money the province makes shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether or not it's successful.

Barbara said...

Beautiful pictures Becky... Do you have any of your area this winter?
I am missing seeing snow this winter...

Becky said...

Thanks Barb!
I don't have many good winter photos, but I can always take some so you can see some snow (we have a lot!) No problem :)

Barbara said...

Oh good news! We are getting snow today Thank God.
I hope the army is standing by ...lol

Barbara said...

I would still like to see your winter pics though.

PETA2.com