Monday, September 11, 2006

More opinions... like I said last post, go read one of the blogs in the sidebar if you don't like this one...
...
How could we forget? It's my generation's JFK moment, our defining date. Everyone will remember where we were. I remember getting ready for school in Grade 4, my then 19-year old sister whispering something to my mom, saying nothing to me. When I got to school I was putting my coat away and my friend Erika came over to our group and started talking about a plane crashing into a building- the World Trade Towers. Being told by my sister that the WTO (the World Trade Organization) was not a good thing, I said something I regret to this day. I said "I'm glad"... I just didn't understand, I didn't understand people had died, but I soon realized the extent of what had happened. I remember my teacher, Mrs. Kirwin, crying infront of the class, telling us all that had happened, how terrorists (an unknown word to us until then) had hijacked a plane and flew it into a building full of people. Walking to music my good friend Katie explained how the people on the planes were phoning their loved ones seconds before their death. I remember Grace explaining how 9/11 was like 9-1-1.
Only being 9, I didn't get how this would change my life, how from then on I'd look up everytime a plane flew over the playground, seeing if they were dropping anything. I didn't understand how I'd think twice before flying, taking the LRT, being in a busy downtown building. I just didn't know.

I know now, and personally I'm sick of the media exploiting it. We know what happened. We know how many people died, how people jumped to their deaths.
Maybe the 5th anniversary is a good time to move on, stop all the media coverage. Maybe all the pain is holding us back... I know it is for me.

Today in school there was no mention of 9/11 (except for Nic saying how we should get a day off, but that doesn't exactly count). I don't think we should do that, either. I think we should remember the day, but we've all seen the footage of them collapsing, the people running away from the towers, the women going "OH MY GOD!!!".

I guess all I'm saying is that we should remember the date, and there's no doubt that we will, but please- to the media- stop exploiting the deaths of others, there's more going on in the world than what happened 5 years ago.
---
Check out Allison's post on the subject. It's a really well written and makes a lot of good points.

7 comments:

Allison said...

Again, great post Becky. Its interesting to hear your reaction, as you were so young at the time. I was 18, perhaps already, a little jaded.
This paragraph especially got to me;
"...from then on I'd look up everytime a plane flew over the playground, seeing if they were dropping anything. I didn't understand how I'd think twice before flying, taking the LRT, being in a busy downtown building..."

Maybe my memory is really bad, but I don't think I've ever felt those things (well, flying for sure), but I think it speaks to growing up in the pre and the post world.
Your much more eloquent than I ever was at your age. BTW, thanks for the blog shout out :)

Becky said...

Thanks Allison :) This post has been inside of me for a long time, I guess today just seemed like a good day to express my feelings...
I really think that our time is going to be a huge part of the future's history, and I think that it's important to tell it from a point of view other than a government official.

I was happy to link your blog, I read it yesterday and it really got me thinking... I really want as many people to read it as possible :)

Barbara Bruederlin said...

While I think it is important to remember those who died, I think it is equally important to think of those we have never known who have been dying before that day and since.
You are so right when you say there is so much more going on in the world. Sadly there is so very much more...

hilary m. said...

I really can connect with your post Becky, being the same age as you when it happened. It's interesting how different our perspectives might have been from someone a lot older. Great post!

loring said...

I don't have a problem with the media hype surrounding 9/11. My problem is with the politicians who use 9/11, to spin it in their favour, like it's an opportunity for them. I won't name actual names here because everyone knows who they are; you seen them spinning all over the Canadian and American news.

Becky said...

Like you said, Barbara, a lot more... but I guess we can only make it better if we pay attention to them first.

It's nice to have someone else that understands, Hilary. People always seem to look at it from the adult point of view, but no one ever seems to look at it from the perspective of kids who are growing up when all this is going on.

I agree with you that politicians tend to use 9/11 for their own advantage too often and for the wrong things, Loring. I think using such an event for anything like that is wrong.

Toccata said...

I lived in New York for 2 years while studying piano. It was and is the most incredible city. When my sister came out for a visit my parents gave us money to do something special and we went and had dinner at Windows of the World. I cannot tell you how amazing that night was for two girls from smalltown Saskatchewan. I still have difficulty finding the words to express my intense reactions and emotions of 9/11 and the unfolding of world events that have since taken place.

Sorry this blog isn't making much sense but I just wanted to share.

PETA2.com